Sunday, December 5, 2010

On Death and Still Giving Thanks

I received a message from one of my bestfriends back in grade school asking everyone to pray for his dad who was then in a critical condition in the hospital. Being a non-practicing Catholic, I pray a lot but I don't usually attend masses, but that Sunday I received the sms, I went with Mitchi to Greenbelt to hear mass and I specifically included that in my short list of prayers. 


Although we rarely had chance to talk to my friend's dad back in grade school when we usually hang out in their home, he was generally warm and polite in entertaining his house guest. My friend's mom was more into the talking part, which I guess is what was always the case. Ok I digress.


Finally, Thursday night, my friend sent another SMS this time thanking everyone who offered their prayers for his dad:


"Guys tnx for all the prayers my dad is now resting in heaven.Thanks for all the support lets just continue praying for the repose of his soul."


When I started reading his message, my heart was glad knowing that our prayers did miracles and kept him ok. But it didn't. Probably because it was his time to go. He was 71. 


I admire my friend's ability to keep himself from wallowing in self-pity and drama from each angle possible. And being able to trust that the prayers offered for his dad was to ease up the pain. But of course, I can only guess.


I just came from the wake and went home around 2am. I saw the family's grief but at the same time strength and being able to maintain a positive and happy environment. Maybe because their dad had a well-lived life. 


But then again, I can only guess. 

No comments: